b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 and order of ideas

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Genesis 3:15 and order of ideas
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:18:17 -0500

At 09:08 AM 12/22/2004 -0600, you wrote:
Dear Chris,

I cannot find any demonstrable instance in the Tanakh of zara( taking a
masculine noun or pronoun as its subject and meaning "to impregnate." Can
someone point me to attestations that I have overlooked?
HH: What follows is not the Tanakh, and the grammar of the passage is debated (the KJV thought that Sarah conceived seed), but the best interpretation of Heb 11:11 follows the path of the NIV:

You cannot be seriously arguing from Greek usage to Hebrew meaning.