b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re.: Isaiah 53:8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vadim Cherny" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re.: Isaiah 53:8
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 20:19:01 +0200

> In final clause the options seem to be:

1. ...for the transgression of my people he was stricken.
2. ...for the transgression of my people to whom the stroke was due.

I lean toward option 1 mainly on the basis of parallelism with the preceding
clause and I take it as governed by the niphal perfect nigzar and the
singular suffix of lamo.

There is a bit of a difference in meaning in that option 2 expressly says
something about the people whereas option 1 focuses on the person leaving
conclusions about the people to inference.

Ideas?

Paul Traub
ptraub AT juno.com <

>From pressure and from trial he was taken;
And with his generation who would argue
since he was sheared from the land of the living?
Because of the crime of my nation,
torment to it.

You can view the details at www.Yeshayahu.com

Vadim Cherny

  • [b-hebrew] Re.: Isaiah 53:8, Vadim Cherny, 12/02/2004