b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 998 non-past wyyqtl's, Dave

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 998 non-past wyyqtl's, Dave
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 12:47:00 -0700

Hi Bryan,

On Wednesday 01 December 2004 12:13, B. M. Rocine wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I'm going to try to answer the questions from your post below in one
> continuous missive because I think it is easier for the forum to enjoy.
> Let me know if I have left any important answers out.

That works for me.

> About the meaning of the "meaning" of forms ;-) :
> In talking about verbal semantics we are talking about the language rules
> native speakers have internalized. In other words we are talking about
> rules for human behavior. Human behavior is less mathmatically reliable
> and predictable than the rules by which we understand the orbits of
> heavenly bodies.

Agreed, except that I would extend this principle to include all of language
and not just verbal semantics. I have given this phenomenon the tentative
name "social convention." I believe this accounts for things like the
"historic present" in Greek, as well as various reversals of meaning in
English that we observe today. But I could too easily digress on that, so
I'll leave it there for now.

> Example: If a being from another planet observed upstate New York drivers
> through his telescope, he could acurately deduce the meaning of the traffic
> signals and markings--white lines for road boundaries, red lights for stop,
> turn signals predict direction of movement, etc. The markings and signals
> communicate in a rudimentary way to and between drivers, and the alien can
> learn the code by the 90+% of folks who follow the code 90+% of the time.
> (I am sure the alien would err on one point. He would be sure that all
> speed signs mean about ten m.p.h. above what they read!) When a driver, in
> order to go around someone who is waiting to make a left, goes outside the
> white line to get around the stopped car, the white line has not stopped
> *meaning* "here is the edge of the drivable space." In fact, if an
> learner's permit holder were to drive outside that white line on his New
> York State driver's exam, he would fail the exam for not respecting the
> meaning of the line. In spite of the meaning of the line, it is a common
> exception for drivers to vere into the shoulder of a road to get by a
> standing car.
>
> Likewise, perhaps wayyiqtols can retain their meaning as sequencers even
> though there are some explainable exceptions and even an occasionally
> unexplainable exception. Speaking of unexplainable "violations," have you
> ever seen people ignore a traffic marking for no good reason? It's the
> inevitable chaos that seems inherent to the fallen human race! ;-)
>
> Take paraphrasing with wayyiqtol as an example of "crossing the white
> line." When a second wayyiqtol paraphrases or is identicle an earlier one,
> the writer and reader's shared world knowledge cooperate with the meaning
> of the wayyiqtol. Writer and reader know the same event doesn't happen
> twice. Writer and reader both realize we are back-looping with the second
> wayyiqtol to cover the same sequence again.

Let me be sure of one thing here: are you indicating that such a "crossing"
is
deliberate on the part of the speaker or writer? To continue your analogy,
in general when someone crosses that line, they do it on purpose, and for
what they consider to be a good reason (whether the other people on the road
think it's a good reason is open to question, of course). If we say the same
thing about a case of "paraphrasing with wayyiqtol" (a term I like), then it
is most likely a deliberate crossing of the boundary, and most likely for a
particular reason. The question would then become "why?" For this
discussion, how about we stick with Judges 12:11, which I think we agree is a
clear example of the phenomenon that you call paraphrasing, if that's okay
with you? Assuming it is, the next logical question is "why did the writer
do such a back-loop?" I'll expand on this below.

> About the meaning of the wayyiqtol specifically:
> I think Hatav has said it as well an anyone. It's meaning is to create a
> new R-time. She has found something like 93-95% (I forget exactly)to do so
> in the typical prose corpus. If she were to add other, most notably
> poetic, texts, I believe she would find nearly as high a percentage.

While I tend to agree that there is "divergent" grammar (I don't want to say
"bad" grammar when referring to grammar that does something other than what
we expect based on our understanding of the forms) in the HB, I also tend to
think that, barring really strong reasons for divergence or "crossing the
line," we do better to try and find some unified sense within the form that
accounts for at least 99%+ of the data (poetry excepted; poetry does its own
thing in every language). As far as I know, the approach I have chosen does
that. In fact, I have yet to find a counter-example. That's not to say I
have it all figured out, but my "simple declarative" seems to account for an
even higher percentage than Hatav's, even to the point of not only explaining
her "sequence" examples but also her counter-examples. Having said that, I
do acknowledge that her data on modality has spun my head around a few times
and set me on a much different course than before regarding some of the other
forms. Her monograph is one of the most profitable works on the subject that
I have ever read.

> I don't believe the conclusion that wayyiqtol clauses are the "simple,
> active propositions" of BH quite accounts for the data satisfactorily.
> Critical to me is that the X-Qatal, the wayyiqtol's partner in
> story-telling, is not used as merely the alternative consctruction when the
> writer wants to promote an element to the first position of the clause. We
> see that the X-qatal is strategically distributed within stories in places
> where context indicates non-sequence. It makes sense therefore, that
> X-qatal's partner indicates the presence of sequence.

But here's where it gets into trouble in Judges 12:11, because it would be
natural to expect X-qatal in the second clause. I agree completely that the
second wayyiqtol is a restatement/expansion of the first one; the question
is, why did the writer choose to cross the line with a wayyiqtol there
instead of using the more natural X-qatal? I honestly can't think of a
reason, because there doesn't seem to be anything particularly noteworthy or
special about Elon's term: he judged Israel; he judged Israel for X number of
years. That's it. So what would be the point of drawing extra attention to
the number of years by using a "non-standard" wayyiqtol?

> In your below letter, you ask for examples of explainable examples when
> wayyiqtol does not express a sequence. I'll give them in another post.

OK. I look forward to it.