b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] GDD (was not: Self-mutilation)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] GDD (was not: Self-mutilation)
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 19:56:37 +0200

Karl,

Your assertion that "some of the common practices [of idolatry] are ritual
prostitution, scarification and mutilation" is an unproven assumption based
on a (Jewish and Christian) midrashic reading of a few pieces of
Deuteronomistic propaganda. We actually have very little evidence of any of
these practices in the ANE, and they certainly were not "common practice".
In any case, Jeremiah here, like many of the prophets, uses prostitution as
a metaphor of Israel's unfaithfulness, "her" "sleeping around" with any god
that promised immediate payment. The metaphor is so commonplace that it does
not need further comment. So it's you who are taking a general term
(GDD/cut) and forcing a particular meaning into the context.

Yigal