b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Getting a grip on Ugaritic

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Your Name" <colin AT s-m-i-t-h.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Getting a grip on Ugaritic
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:29:20 -0400

Our college offers Ugaritic as part of the Old Testament Languages
series. The students who take the course are typically Juniors and
Seniors with three semesters of Biblical Hebrew unter their belt.

I've found that Stanislav Segert. A Basic Grammar of the Ugaritic
Language: With Selected Texts and Glossary University of California
Press, 1984 is the most user-friendly introductory grammar.

Cyrus Gordon's UT and UG are enormously helpful; he shows the parallels
between Ugaritic and Biblical Hebrew without going overboard.

Hang in there! The benefits are definitely worth the effort.

Colin Smith

  • [b-hebrew] Getting a grip on Ugaritic, Your Name, 09/14/2004