b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Beth-horon Origin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Beth-horon Origin
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 22:15:23 +0200

I would think the opposite - like much of the conquest narrative in Joshua,
it reflects the Iron II geography of the time of its composition. However,
unlike the cases of Jericho, Ai, Gibeon, Hebron and other sites which simply
did not exist in the Late Bronze or Iron I periods, nowhere does Joshua
claim that the town of Beth Horon was conquered. Assuming, as the
archaeological evidence seems to point to, that the town(s) of Beth Horon
were Israelite and not Canaanite, the important road known as the Beth Horon
Acsent (today's route 443) was only given that name during the Iron Age.

Yigal