b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Hebrew month names

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: Hebrew month names
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 07:26:26 +0200

In the book of Ezra-Nehemiah, the "Nehemiah Memoirs" in Ezra-Nehemiah use
the Babylonian names (Adar, Kislev etc.), while the "Ezra source" uses the
"old" ordinal numbers (first month, second month etc.).As Aaron Demsky and
others have pointed out, Ezra, the Priest and "Scribe" of the Torah uses the
Torah names, while Nehemiah, the Persian-trained official, uses the names
that where in use in the Persian administration.

My understanding of the process is that the names were not so much borrowed
directly from the Babylionians, as from the Aramaic scibal practices that
were so much a part of life in the Persian Empire. Very much like the shift
from the Paleo-Hebrew (actually Canaanite) script to the Aramaic "square"
script.

Yigal