b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] dbr-yhwh in Jer 1:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "C. Stirling Bartholomew" <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] dbr-yhwh in Jer 1:2
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:58:03 -0700

On 8/28/04 8:53 AM, "C. Stirling Bartholomew" <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
wrote:

> Waltke/O'Connor 9.5.1 #6
>
> Jer 1:2
> dbr-yhwh
>
> W/O call this a genitive of authorship.

Assigning the semantic functional tag "authorship" to dbr-yhwh in Jer 1:2
shuts down the process of semantic analysis. It makes explicit only one of
the implications of dbr-yhwh and in the process it obscures some other
equally significant implications. dbr-yhwh here is semantically complex and
we will get it all wrong it we start out by nailing it down with the
semantic functional tag "authorship."

I am talking here about the semantic significance of the constituent
dbr-yhwh not the semantics of the genitive, the subject of our previous
discussion.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew