b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] The Potter's Wheel and Giving Birth?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David N. da Silva" <huyxh8s02 AT sneakemail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] The Potter's Wheel and Giving Birth?
  • Date: 23 Aug 2004 19:01:32 -0000

Potter's wheels do contain stone: it provides momentum needed to keep the
wheel turning smoothly. Some think that the upper wheel (where the clay
sits) was made of stone, and there is another stone as a hub for the lower
kick wheel. Perhaps this is based on archaeology. But if I were building
one, I would make the upper wheel of wood, and lash two balanced stones to
either side of the central spindle.

As far as I know, there is no reason at all to suppose that 'aobnayim refers
to birthing stools except that someone made that guess in an attempt to
understand Gen 1:16. Jeremiah 18:3 is the reference to a potter's wheel.
There is nothing in Gen 1:16 (as far as I can tell with my poor Hebrew) that
suggests the woman is on the 'aobnayim.

As to what Gen 1:16 means, surely that is obvious? What after all would you
look at to tell if a new-born babe is a boy or a girl? I think the
translation should be:

And he said: "When you act as midwife to an `Ebriy woman, look for the 'shaft
and two stones.' Kill the boys and let the girls live."

As always, I appreciate criticism.

By the way, does anyone have an idea if "Shifrah" and "Pu`ah" are Egyptian
names?

David Nunes da Silva