b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Torah (was: Amalekites)!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Torah (was: Amalekites)!
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 02:24:58 -0500

Yigal:

I’ll have to agree with Shoshanna here.

As for the origin of our modern idea of history, it appears to have come not
from the ancient Greeks. The ancient Greeks told history either 1) because it
was a rollicking good story, to which liberties could be taken to improve the
story line, e.g. the Illiad and Odyssey by Homer, or 2) there is some sort of
moral or relational lesson to be learned from the story. In neither case was
historical accuracy important.

What Shoshanna, I and some other members on this list dispute is that this
Greek view of history was also normative for the Biblical authors as well.
Thus it was possible for Esau’s grandson to be named Amalek without the
presupposition that he had anything to do with the founding of the Amalekites.

Karl W. Randolph.