b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Amalekites followup!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Banyai AT t-online.de (Michael Banyai)
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Amalekites followup!
  • Date: 15 Aug 2004 15:40 GMT

Dear Yigal,

I must add a short follow-up to my previous posting.

Usoos with his brother Samemrumos as adorated in Tyre are, at least the first
of them, eponymous heroes of Tyre. Usoos name bearing resemblances to (akkad.
and Neo-Assyrian) Ushu, that is mainland Tyre. The native name may have been
Usu/Uzu.

A second Uz is reported by the bible as a part of Edom (Job, Lamentations, I
Moses 36:28).

It is therefore understandable when a biblical redactor should have pasted
together the two Uzes (Uzzis), applying the Phoenician myth to Edom and
falsely reconstructing an amusing family story regarding Jacob.

Best regards,

Bányai Micahel
Stuttgart

  • [b-hebrew] Amalekites followup!, Michael Banyai, 08/15/2004