b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Biblical Pronunciation of Waw and Ayin

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Kevin Riley <klriley AT alphalink.com.au>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Biblical Pronunciation of Waw and Ayin
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:51:44 +0100

On 12/08/2004 08:13, Kevin Riley wrote:

From memory, all Oriental Jews pronounce 'Ayin as in Arabic. Thinking about
it, almost all are from areas where Semitic languages are used, and now I am
curious about the central Asian Jews - anyone know?

The Mountain Jews of the Caucasus have separate letters in their alphabet representing ayin and het, showing that they retain distinct pronunciations although I am not sure what they are.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)