b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] English translations? any recomendations?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] English translations? any recomendations?
  • Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2004 11:11:28 +0100

On 07/08/2004 21:10, Dave Washburn wrote:

... The NIV is a more "dynamic equivalence" translation than the other two, ...

This is true I suppose, but is a bit like saying that Washington DC is nearer to California than New York is. NIV is one small step nearer to true "dynamic equivalence", but is very far from all the way. If you want a dynamic equivalence translation, look for the Good News Bible (Today's English Version) or the New Living Translation. I don't recommend this style of translation for Hebrew study, but I do recommend it for general understanding, especially of more difficult parts of the Bible by those not already familiar with them.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)