b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Feminine of noun abstacts that stand alone.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Feminine of noun abstacts that stand alone.
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 16:32:22 +0200

Hi Chris,

While the word "Emun" in Deut. 32:20, which seems to be a masculine of
"Emunah", seems unique, the feminine is used in verse 4. Isaiah 25:1 uses
both - "Emunah Omen". And the masc. plural "Emunim" is used 6 times, as well
as the construct "Emuney" in 2 Sam. 20:19.

Coming back to Deut. 32:20, my guess is that "Emun" is not really masculine,
but simply a cut-off form of Emunah, which the poet used to fit the metre.

Place names can be either masculine or feminine, but remember that both
"city" (Ir and "land" )Erec are feminine.

Yigal