b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Evidence for the Exodus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Stephen Segall <segall AT umich.edu>, B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Evidence for the Exodus
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 15:28:16 -0700 (PDT)

Stephen Segall <segall AT umich.edu> wrote:
"..many biblical scholars contend that there is no evidence that the Exodus
actually took place..."

this is contrasted with a book that

."....shows that in addition toarcheological evidence and comparison with
other ancient documents, the...accuracy with which the phenomena are
described can give some indicationof the accuracy of the rest of the story.
In the case of the Exodus, the
phenomena described are sufficiently rare and localized that there is
virtually no possibility they would have been included in the story if the
Exodus did not occur. ."

There is another approach. What we have in Exodus is a reflection in outline
of memories of real events. These memories can be acccepted as genuine for a
bondage of some Hebrews in Egypt, a lucky escape of some of them , a
leadership of a man whose name they remembered in truncated form, and,
significantly, the beginning of their new religion under a god who does not
tolerate other gods. This outline can perhaps be broadened, but not to a
point where hitsoriography, in the modern sense, can be written.

All reconstructions as to dates, toponyms and so forth must remain
speculative till new evidence turns up.

It needs hardly be pointed out that the ancient authors and redactors of
these narratives would have been mortified by the possibility of natural
exlanations that detract in any way Yahweh's ability tp perform miracles.

Uri