b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1446 BCE Exodus ? Apiru/Habiru = Hebrew ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: MarianneLuban AT aol.com, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1446 BCE Exodus ? Apiru/Habiru = Hebrew ?
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 14:14:13 -0700 (PDT)

The term Habiru, or in its logographic form SA.GAZ ,appears in cuneiform much
earlier (than in Egytptian according to Marianne Luban see below ), from the
twentieth century BCE. The letter H in the beginning of the word in
non-scholastic texts in English refers to a sign that is used for two
consonants in cuneiform: the Ayin and the Cha; the system simply did not
have a separate sign for these two consonants.
The term appears also in Ugaritic , -- (prm -- with an Ayin as a first
letter just as in Egyptian and througthout the ANE.

As for the exact meaning and the etymology of the term,opinions are divided,
though in many contexts it seems to be "bandits, nomads" and so forth.
Certainly so in the Amarna letters.

Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il> wrote:

1) Habiru would be 'ober in Hebrew because of the Canaanite shift, and not
'ibri

Not according to Th. Meek: The term 'ibri without gentilic ending is found
in the PN Eber"....which manifestly goes back to an earlier from
'abir(u)......in cuneiform is h(_)biru..."

MarianneLuban AT aol.com wrote:

"The history of the word "apiru", insofar as I know, is thus: Insofar as I
know, it is first seen in Egyptian texts from the 13th Dynasty (ca. 1745 BCE)
..."

"... the name "Abdul" ..." --- BTW there's no such name: it is the word/name
ABD plus the aricle Al.... which never stands alone in Arabic. The Alif drops
out in a construct chain.

Uri