b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] RE: b-hebrew Digest, Vol 19, Issue 16

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] RE: b-hebrew Digest, Vol 19, Issue 16
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:48:52 +0200

Chris:

When looking at an unpointed text, it is the context that tells whether or
not a verb is hiphil with a dropped yod, or another form.

In this case, the context does not call for a specific hiphil reading:

it could be a qal reading And Moses broke camp, with Israel There is no
need for a hiphil reading, for Moses did not make Israel break camp, rather
they were following God in the form of a pillar of cloud by day and fire by
night (Exodus 13:1722). It was God doing the leading, not Moses. Thus the
context, along with its form, argue against this being a hiphil.

verb being used in Psalm 78:56 and 78:52. Here one has difficulty NOT using
the causative. On top of this the Rabbis themselves do put this in a hiphil
category and give very convincing explanations. And it is the CONTEXT that
they use to explain WHY this is a HIPHIL.

motivation in many instance to believe that God is there so in this instance
by the sea the pillar of fire is not really a great incentive to move on.
This is borne out in many situations.

Karl W. Randolph.

  • [b-hebrew] RE: b-hebrew Digest, Vol 19, Issue 16, wattswestmaas, 07/15/2004