b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Explain translation of Asherah as grove in 2Kings23.7?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Explain translation of Asherah as grove in 2Kings23.7?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 04:52:15 -0400

Actually, Peter, the text "to YHWH and his Asherah" has been found in
several iscriptions, in Sinai and in Israel. But you're right that a. the
reading is debated, and b. that we have no way of really knowing how
widespread the idea of YHWH having a consort was. It's certainly contrary
to any of the biblical authors.

Yigal