b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Psalm 4:7 NiSa

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Psalm 4:7 NiSa
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:02:52 +0200

I really did not want to bother you but I am really gettin 'spaghettied' by
all these millions of possibilities in weak verbs.

With plenty of references at hands they always seem to not tell you want you
desperately wish to know. the root NUN-SAMECH-HEH falls under the 1 nun and
lamed heh stem. OK so far. It is ONLY in the piel when translated as
'TEST' 'EXAMINE' However the NUN SAMECH HEH in psalm 4:7 (which Yigal has
kindly pointed out as maybe a root from NUN SAMECH SAMECH) does NOT fall
into the afore-mentioned category (even as a QAL)? And if it is from the
NSS root then it falls Either under the strong verb OR the Peh-Nun category.
THUS, it seems to be in a category all by itself?????? I am on about the
"sheva" under the NUN.

OK I know you have spotted the errors in my thinking probably, when you do
not have anyone to talk to you can imagine my ongoing frustrations with many
of the weak verbs apparent consistency in having myriads of combinations in
their vowels!?!? It is a daunting task.

Thanking you extra for anyone who may take the trouble to explain whatever
it is I am not understanding.

Chris.