b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Amalekites again!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Amalekites again!
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:29:21 -0500

Dear Chris,

I have gathered quite some fascinating information about Amalek but I am
still busy trying to reconcile the two statements in Exodus and Deutoronomy
where it is said: "Remember what Amalek did.... therefore you shall erase
the memory of Amalek etc..." Bearing in mind a host of other nations who
opposed Israel one is perplexed at the importance to remember Amalek AND
erase NOT AMALEK but the memory of him. I know that some may say that this
is one and the same thing but there are too many lose ends with this
conclusion.

HH: The statement to remember Amalek is explained:

Deut. 25:17 ΒΆ Remember what the Amalekites did to you along the way when you came out of Egypt.
Deut. 25:18 When you were weary and worn out, they met you on your journey and cut off all who were lagging behind; they had no fear of God.
Deut. 25:19 When the LORD your God gives you rest from all the enemies around you in the land he is giving you to possess as an inheritance, you shall blot out the memory of Amalek from under heaven. Do not forget!

HH: The reason Israel is to remember Amalek is so that they will destroy them later when they are in a position to do so. God wants to judge Amalek. By destroying them Israel will as a result be instrumental in the memory of them fading.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard