b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 29:11-12

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 29:11-12
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 10:36:05 -0600

On Friday 09 July 2004 08:59, Medina, Vincent wrote:
> Peter:
>
> Thanks for your input. This is a very difficult passage to lineate. As
> previously noted, BHS formats it as prose, so I suppose some would even
> question my attempt to lineate it at all.

> 11e and 11f, even making this
> a break between stanzas." I have to admit that there is a certain amount
> of subjectivity here. [snip]

Hi Vincent, welcome to b-hebrew!
To a certain degree, any such endeavor includes a large dose of subjectivity,
because at the end of the day we still don't know the actual ins and outs of
Hebrew poetry. For my own part, I would be inclined to ask why the editors
of the translations and BHS formatted it as prose instead of poetry. Since a
lot of the folks in question would likely be hard to contact, there's a
certain amount of second-guessing that goes into this question, but I have
found that it can be a fruitful exercise and can shed some light on the text
that I might have missed otherwise (and being without my medication, I tend
to miss a lot these days! [insert Groucho-type cigar waving here] ;-)

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur