b-hebrew - RE:earlier dictionaries? was [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE:earlier dictionaries? was [b-hebrew] Offend/dealt corruptly - chet bet lamed (nehemiah 1:7)
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 17:34:20 -0500

Dear Harold:

It appears to me as if you start with the presupposition that the sources you
depend on are always accurate.

I, OTOH, come to the plate with the presupposition that the scholars are more
likely to be correct than wrong, therefore they deserve to have a hearing.
However, they could be mistaken with one scholar basing his work on a
previous one. Therefore, if I find reason to question their reading, I won’t
hesitate to question or even disagree with them. But I have to find reason to
question. And I could be mistaken.

But it appears to me that you are grasping at straws to defend your
particular reading.

For example, how much do you know about viticulture? It can’t be very much.
All the URLs that you listed pointing to primary sources say that foxes
damage only the ripe fruit (thanks for that information: previously I thought
that foxes in vineyards would be only a plus for farmers), which the farmers
don’t like because they compete with the foxes for that fruit. Only one
article claims that foxes damage the vines themselves, but it is a secondary
source, i.e. hearsay. You speculated that little grapes would have been on
the vines when the vines were in blossom . . . Huh??? The blossoms ARE the
little grapes. Since all your primary sources say that foxes do not damage
the blossoms, that means that they do not damage the crop at this stage in
the crop’s development. I read all those articles, and only the hearsay one
backed up even part of your claims. You have not backed up your claims. And
even if foxes damage vineyards and vines, not just the fruit, that does not
mean that
XBL in this verse refers to damage. This is a very weak proof text.