b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Goliath & Hoplites & Sinhue

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <david.kimbrough AT charter.net>
  • To: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Goliath & Hoplites & Sinhue
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 15:28:06 +0000

The Hoplites were solders, not warriors. Hoplites fought as a team,
interlocking their shields, suppporting each other with their spears. They
did not engage in combat as individuals away from their lines. The key
element of hoplite tactics was sticking with the phalanx.

The opposite was true for warriors. It was quite common in the undisiplined
armies of warriors for a chamipion to advance ahead his fellows and challange
the enemy to individual combat (e.g. Sun Tzu in the *Art of War* & Homer in
the *Illiad* both record this activity).

This type of *manu a manu* fighting is also recorded in the Egyptian tale of
Sinhue.