b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Shield-bearer 1 Samuel 17:41

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brian & Laureen Powell <PowellBrian AT omf.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Shield-bearer 1 Samuel 17:41
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 10:51:38 +0800

Hi all.
I'm translating in I Samuel 17 at present, and am unclear why verse 41 is translated as it is.

My interlinear for the verse reads 'And-he-came the-Philistine coming and-closer to David and-the-man bearing the-shield in-front-of-him'.

This is rendered in the NIV as 'Meanwhile, the Philistine, with his shield-bearer in front of him, kept coming closer to David.'

My confusion is based on how it could have worked that two of them would be approaching David. I understand the idea of an armour-bearer to carry weapons etc. for a warrior, but surely when he is actually going to battle the armour-bearer then gives the armour to the warrior.

My question is whether the Hebrew necessarily implies two different people or whether 'the Philistine' in the first clause and 'the man' in the second clause could not be one and the same person. This would lead to a translation such as 'The Philistine kept coming closer to David bearing his shield before him.'

Thanks
Brian

--

Brian Powell