b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] DWD or DWYD, YHDH or YHWDH

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: tmcos AT rogers.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] DWD or DWYD, YHDH or YHWDH
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 12:59:25 -0700

On 26/06/2004 12:40, tmcos AT rogers.com wrote:

Hello,it seems this question was already answered by a list member. I agree
with you that we have here a mater waw in the Hebrew spelling of Judah. It is
indeed the same with DWD/DWYD. I believe that the maters were developed later
in biblical Hebrew? Since biblical Hebrew was originally composed of
consonants (I am including paleo-Hebrew at this point which was still
pictographic)it appears that the need to employ consonants as vowels
developed later. Is this usually the consensus of scholarship? Is there any
examples of the mater waw used in DWD or YHDH cited in the qere-ketib?

Tony

Maters would not usually be cited in the qere-ketiv, except when the ketiv mater does not fit the qere pronunciation. As Yehuda or David is pronounced the same whether or not there is a mater vav or yod, the pointing is made to fit either the presence or absence of the mater so there is no need for a separate qere form.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)