b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] OT Translations

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Philip Engmann" <phil-eng AT ighmail.com>
  • To: <bill.rea AT canterbury.ac.nz>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] OT Translations
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:04:45 +0100

A table in J. VanderKam & P. Flint, "The Meaning of the DSS" (p. 143),
summarizing the research of Tov, gives these figures:

47% of biblical DSS texts reflect the MT.
47% are "non-aligned".
3, 3 % reflect the LXX.
2, 5 % reflect the Samaritan Pentateuch.

I may be inclined to agree that in the majority of cases, the MT may be
seen to be more 'accurate' than the LXX; particularly since majority of
the DSS support the MT rather than the LXX.

However, the point that I am making is that where some DSS support the
LXX rather than the MT (where there are differences between the LXX and
the MT), then in such cases, it is more likely that the LXX+DSS
rendering is more accurate than the MT rendering.

In the example that I gave previously, in Deuteronomy 32:43, LXX
Deuteronomy 32:43 is longer than MT Deuteronomy 32:43, and so LXX
Deuteronomy 32:43 contains certain phrases that MT Deuteronomy 32:43
does not contain, strongly suggesting that the parent texts of the LXX
and MT were different texts. The DSS Qumran manuscript 4QDeutq matches
the LXX text here, indicating that the LXX was derived from an ancient
Hebrew source which differed from the MT Hebrew source. So in this case,
I would think that the LXX+DSS rendering may be more accurate than the
MT rendering.

(Also, the difference between the LXX and MT quotations of Psalm 40:7[6]
is that the phrase 'but you have given me an open ear', in MT Psalm
40:7[6] is radically and irreconcilably different from the corresponding
LXX phrase 'a body you have prepared for me' in LXX Psalm 40:7[6];
leading to the conclusion that the LXX Vorlage differed from the
Proto-MT for this text. The LXX rendering here seems to make more sense
than the MT rendering).

Simply taking the MT to be the most accurate text all the time and
consulting other sources only when the MT is obscure or difficult may
not always be the best approach.

Philip Engmann