b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Job

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <david.kimbrough AT charter.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Job
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 16:56:00 +0000

Chris,

Job is a Hebrew rendition of a much older poem, "The Righteous Sufferer"
which is known both in Sumerian and Babylonian. The basic themes are same, a
righteous man who performs all of the correct sacrifices and ceremonies falls
from grace with the gods and suffers terrible afflictions. He struggles to
understand how bad things happened to righteous men but expresses despair
ever knowing. A little snippet -

My god has forsaken me and disappeared,
My goddess has failed me and keeps at a distance.
The benevolent angel who walked beside me has departed,
My protecting spirit has taken to flight, and is seeking someone else.
My strength is gone; my appearance has become gloomy;
My dignity has flown away, my protection made off....

David Kimbrough
San Gabriel

  • [b-hebrew] Job, david.kimbrough, 06/10/2004