b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Yachid and echad - Oneness?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Yachid and echad - Oneness?
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 17:52:49 -0500

Dear Chris:

I have heard this argument before, primarily from Christians who want to say
that the concept of the Trinity is implied in the Shema (Deuteronomy 6:4).
However, I cannot verify it.

YXYD &#1497;&#1495;&#1497;&#1491; comes from the root that has its main idea
of a group coming together to act as one. It is used of brothers living
together in harmony. YXYD therefore has its main meaning of being together
with. (It may have had the concept of absolute oneness in later Hebrew, but I
haven‘t found it in Biblical Hebrew.)

)XD &#1488;&#1495;&#1491; means one, but it also includes the idea of two or
more coming together as one. In plural it means few or small in number.

I‘m open to further discussion, but this is how I see it at this time.

Karl W. Randolph.