b-hebrew - Re: Re: [b-hebrew] dating of linguistics and the DH, ultimately dating of Exodus

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Re: [b-hebrew] dating of linguistics and the DH, ultimately dating of Exodus
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 22:51:13 -0500

David:

Funny you should mention the Noah flood story, because that is one of the top
examples of how artificial the whole system is.

As is widely known from the computer trade, GIGO questions not the
intelligence of the people working on a project, nor the quality of the
machinary used to work on the project, but on the quality of the data and
programming and the standards used on both. So it is with JEPD and DH.

Back to Noah, when his story was recorded, it was recorded as a whole. The
story does not give all the little details, however, what is recorded, makes
a seamless whole. Or to use DH terminology, both the J and E sections work
together with no conflict. Without DH, there would be no way to guess that
there were two different stories. Either one has to take his hat off to the
redactor for doing a supurb job of making two disparate stories into one,
massaging the stories so that they fit together, or the modern DH theorist
does violence to the story as he rips it apart according to artificial
standards (Garbage In) resulting in two stories with their parts out of
context with the whole they came from (Garbage Out).

What I question is not the intelligence of the people who propose DH, nor the
amount of scholarship poured into it, but the underlying philosophy
(theology). Even tribal peoples recognize the difference between a title and
a name. For example, when a person talks about Elizabeth II (name) and the
Queen of England (title), who questions that they both refer to the same
person? So is it not artificial to claim that ancient peoples would differ
into different groups, recognized by those who called God )LHYM (title) and
YHWH (name)? And is it not demeaning to Jewish history to claim that long
after all other peoples had no problem differentiating between and using
names and titles for the same people, the Jews were unable to do the same?
Especially for their God?

There are other issues I have with the philosophy underlying DH, including
how they date Exodus.

Karl W. Randolph.