b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: [B-Greek] hUPOMONH in the Apocalypse

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: [B-Greek] hUPOMONH in the Apocalypse
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 18:37:50 -0500

Dear George,

Thanks for calling this to my attention. It had slipped my mind. Of
course, it doesn't solve the problem of hUPOMONH in James 1.3 -- it
simply extends it to Paul.

HH: I don't think it does. Perhaps you are limiting the meaning of endurance. Here is the Webster's Dictionary meaning: "the ability to withstand hardship, adversity, or stress." James 1:3 and Rom 5:3 are addressed to believers who have God's Spirit and prayer:

Rom. 5:5 And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.

HH: Believers are equipped to face trials, and God wants their character to grow through trusting Him. Trials are a circumstance where this can happen. Facing them helps one's ability to withstand hardship grow. It does not happen automatically of course. One must respond properly, but if one does, the ability develops.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard