b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Exod.6:20

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Tony Costa" <tmcos AT rogers.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Exod.6:20
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 19:42:44 -0400

Dear Friends, I was puzzled when I came across Exod.6:20 (LXX) in which Amram
is said to take Jochebed as his wife who is described as the daughter of his
father, and hence, his cousin. However, the MT has Amram taking Jochebed who
is the sister of his father, making her his aunt! This may be a question
outside the domain of b-hebrew but I was wondering why the differences
between these two texts. Is the LXX the original reading or is it attempting
to soften the MT? Many thanks.

Tony Costa