b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Michael Abernathy" <mabernathy AT isot.com>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] exodus, dating of linguistics
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 21:13:25 -0500

I think you should reconsider your choice of examples. In the
nineteenth century, the American language was undergoing quite a few
changes. In New York they had a large number of European immigrants that
contributed to the language. In California, you have a number of interesting
things that would have been happening. Early in the nineteenth century, the
dominant language was Spanish. When English became the dominant language, it
took a large number of loan words from the Spanish. You would also see a
large number of loan words from various native American tribes. Some of
those eventually made it to New York. I am not certain that some of them
ever did. In any case, California would be a rather unique example. They
didn't merely have occasional contact because of yearly feasts, as in the
case of Israel. They had a massive migration due to the gold rush. I
suspect that a proper study comparing the development of the English
language in these two areas could be the subject of a number of
dissertations.
As for the mobility of the Hebrew people, I seem remember reading
several articles to the effect that Galilean Hebrew was dialectically
different than that of Jersualem both in the Old Testament period and in the
New Testament period.
Further, I suggested that if the language of the Hebrew Bible was indeed
uniform, and that there were no editorial process involved, then the work
would appear to have been written in very limited chronological and
geographical limits. Personally, I don't subscribe to the possibility that
it was so limited as to eliminate dialectical differences. I would be more
prone to think that we simply have a limited ability to recognize those
differences.
Sincerely Yours,
Michael Abernathy