b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Habiru/Apiru/Ibrim (was: Date of the Jericho Battle)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Habiru/Apiru/Ibrim (was: Date of the Jericho Battle)
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 07:59:25 -0700 (PDT)

First, the linguistic association. Clearly the consonants are identical
in Akkadian and Heb. The Akkadian cuneiform sign for the first consonant can
be either Kha as in Arabic, ( fused with H (.) chet in Heb.), or -- Ayin.
That the latter was the pronounciation in this case is evident in the first
letter of the same social term in such disparate linguistic cultures as
Ugaritic and Egyptian, Ayin in both. The second consonantis B or P , these
are quite interchangeble as is known.The third is R in both.
As for historical , anthropological correspondence between )abiru and
Ibrim.: The first are known throughout the ANE mostly in the second
millennium, not as an ethnicum, rather as landless outsiders, marauders but
sometimes as mercenaries. In short an ill defined appellation. Ibrim in the
HB is a term used mostly by others such as the Philistines to describe the
Herews or Israelites, not by the latter to describe themselves. Again an ill
defined appellation.

The )Apiru of the El-Amarna tablets may refer to the groups we read about
in Genesis in the Patriarchial narratives that are involved in skirmishes and
even battles (see the enigmatic chapt. 14). It is certainly a period that
preceeds the settlement/conquest, but only five or six generations seprate
Amarna from Merenpath. Perhaps some Hebrews remained in Canaan, not all went
down to Egypt, but this is ouside the scope of this list.

Uri

Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il> wrote:
OK, let's do it.

My impression has always been that the initial connection was made simply
because, to the European scholars who first translated the el-Amarna letters,
"Habiru" sounded lot like "Hebrew". However, even assuming an etymological
connection between (PR and (BR,
a. A careful analysis of the EA texts finds no mention of the Apiru as
"tribes", "invaders", "conquerors" or anything else that is similar to the
biblical account of the conquest. Many of the cities mentioned in the
conquest story, such as Jericho, Ai, Gibeon, Hebron, Debir, Shimron, Achshaph
are not mention in the EA texts (and indeed many were not even settled at the
time).
b. The term "Ibri" and its uses in the Bible are also unclear. DOES it refer
to an "ethnicity"? Is it a social status?
c. IF the EA letters were to be taken as evidence of a "Hebrew" invasion of
Canaan during the 14th century, such an invasion had no real effect: the
"wave" of destructions, the appearance of "Israelite" settlements in the hill
country and the end of Egyptian rule of the country all began in the 12th
century.

Yigal