b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jericho(2)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George F. Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: Ephraim49 AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jericho(2)
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 19:31:07 -0400

Herman,

Here is an excerpt from the Anchor Bible Dictionary article on Ai

Another violent destruction overtook the city about 2400 b.c., during the
5th Dyn. of Egypt. No definite identity of the aggressor is known, but a
scene in the tomb of Inti at Dishashi depicts the capture of a Canaanite
town, and a mutilated inscription names two cities, neither of which can
be identified. If Ai was taken from control of Egypt about 2550 b.c., it
would be among the cities in Canaan listed for recapture in any campaign
to regain control of the region. In any case, the city was completely
destroyed and abandoned, and was not reoccupied until Iron Age settlers
came upon the ruins of the site 1,200 years later, ca. 1200 b.c.
Freedman, D. N. (1996, c1992). The Anchor Bible Dictionary. New York:
Doubleday.