b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Infinitive Construct.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Infinitive Construct.
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 15:30:22 +0200

Dear members,

Could someone please add to my understanding of the purpose of the
infinitive construct. The deffinitions of the Inf.construct are clearly
laid out before me - but alas, what can I say?

It does appear that in a lot of the instances where an infinitive construct
is used the Absolute would be just as correct (or is this to much leaning
towards modern hebrew usage)?

Also I am somewhat confused by the fact that some things are listed as inf
construct and it first appeared as an inf absolute to me (ie a construct
with a lamed prefixed)???

Is the primary purpose of the Inf.constuct in that it is a free-flowing verb
form (ie, is not limited by gender and number) that MAY take prefixes and
therefore grant more flexibilty to the writer.

I am aware that I may not be asking the right questions in order to arrive
at a good understanding so please feel free to deviate. I am still what one
would call 'A proffessional Amateur' concerning the deep end of Grammar.

Thankyou all, Chris.