b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] addendum to "Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Kummerow" <farmerjoeblo AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] addendum to "Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole"
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 11:57:55 +1000

Dear B-Hebrew,

I have just reread my original post regarding reading Isaiah 53 in the book as a whole and apologise for some significant typos - I wrote it early this morning when I couldn't sleep and it probably shows. Anyway, a couple of points to clarify:

1. In the 4th paragraph which begins "For me at least..." add the word "is" between "exile" and "indicative" to make the sentence read: However, within chs. 40-55
exile is indicative [and perhaps metaphoric] of Israel’s greater problem, the
problem of sin.

2. Paragraph 10, which (ambiguously) begins "The section begins with echoes of ch. 40..." should have been preceded, probably at the conclusion of the previous paragraph, with something like: "The broad sketch is given in 40:1-51:11; in 51:12-55:12 the details are filled in." When I said "The section begins" I was meaning the section 51:12-55:12. Justification for seeing a structural break here is found in Webb's article.

I hope this clarifies matters. I don't (and didn't) have time to present an exegesis of much of chs. 40-55, and the discussion so far has anyway centred on ch. 53. Nevertheless, it should be clear how ch. 53 fits within the context of chs. 40-55 and the book as a whole, which was the point of the response.

Sincerely,

David Kummerow,
Sydney.

SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here: http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

  • [b-hebrew] addendum to "Isaiah 53 read within the book as a whole", David Kummerow, 05/20/2004