b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: prophetic perfect

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Julie Devall" <krena_li_mara AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: prophetic perfect
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 04:14:04 +0000

Dear Rolf,

In case my posting was not clear (as I sense from subsequent posts), the suggestion is that there is an alternative to the traditional notion of "prophetic perfect". The passage references an event which is past - the vision. I used the grammar as a jumping off point, showing the mental gymnastics that must be done to understand a "future referring" perfect. Perhaps my (instructor's) suggestion requires more gymnastics, but it doesn't require a tortured grammar, nor some glimpse into the brain of the author, just an understanding of the narrative frame of Isaiah.

Now taking the perfects as simple past yields two (or three) possible conclusions:
1) Vision (as mode) predicting future events. Now ask me how I would translate it, or how it should be translated for a mass audience, and I will not have any idea. But that is a discussion for another day.
2) Liz's suggestion -Narrative about the events surrounding the time of Isaiah, i.e., Tiglath-Pileser III...
3) Or, some combination thereof... (Hey, I grew up in the PoMo generation, we can all be right...;)

Hope I clarified my original post,

Julie :)