b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Unify/join - JaCHeD/TeCHaD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Unify/join - JaCHeD/TeCHaD
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 23:38:32 +0200

Please help me concerning the gutteral verb for 'to unite'. I am having
extreme difficulty in understanding the grammar. (gen 49:6, isa 14:20)
TeCHaD and then (psalm 86:11) YaCHeD. Even with Merwe, Kreuze's excelent
reference grammar and Page H kelly's Introductory grammar I am going balmy
trying to understand and work out why the vowel pointing and 'tav' prefix
from the first two verbs in this Qal Stem is the way it is..

Secondly in psalm 86 'YaCHeD' is in the imperative???? If not please tell
me why, (and why a patach under the 'yod' if it is a piel),

I know that I shall be asking 1 + 1 = 2 questions for you guys on this board
but I have been trying to teach myself for some years and I have never had
access to other students or tutors, this has been a long hard struggle just
to get this far in my limited understanding - just to explain my position,
to increase your tolerance levels for such basic questions.

Thanks, Chris.