b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Studying Modern and Biblical Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: "'James Bowick'" <bowick AT idirect.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Studying Modern and Biblical Hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 14:14:05 -0400

Hi James,

Learning to speak Modern Hebrew in order to better internalize Biblical
Hebrew is rewarding, but takes much more time than is available in a basic
introductory biblical Hebrew course or, for that matter, in a summer while
trying to review biblical Hebrew and work a job and have time for your
family. Bruce Waltke noted, "The United States army determined
scientifically that it takes ten months (=5000 hours) of saturated study
(i.e., hearing exclusively the one being studied) to speak adequately any
language."

Yes, you need to read Modern Hebrew in order to do a PhD on biblical Hebrew.
And yes, if you have a year to spare, a trip to Israel would be excellent.
And if you're going to watch a movie anyway, by all means choose one in
Hebrew. But I think for your purposes ("prep for an Intermediate Hebrew
course in Seminary"), any time you have left over after reviewing your
biblical Hebrew textbook and memorizing your biblical Hebrew vocabulary
would be most effectively spent reading ... lots of biblical Hebrew.

Ken Penner
McMaster/Hebrew