b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7:13 ha-alma and xarah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7:13 ha-alma and xarah
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 07:29:34 -0500

Dear Chemorion,

You wrote:

I am sorry if this has already been discussed, but I need your views
concerning ha-alma and xarah in Isaiah 7:14. MT says ha-almah ( a young
woman), with a footnote indicating that the LXX says pathenos (virgin).But
Isaiah uses the perfect verb xarah, which shows that the young woman is
already pregnant (no longer a virgin). Are there any other ancient readings
that support the rendering in LXX? In my opinion, the young woman is the
means by which The
Lord is giving Ahas His own (Lord's) sign i.e. the sign is meant for Ahas
and the people of his time. What are your views?

HH: The woman does not have to be already pregnant. The adjective "pregnant" (HRH) is part of a verbless
clause. That clause is parallel with another clause with a verb, which is imperfect and probably means "will give birth" (WYLDT). Therefore, many translate that the young woman/virgin "will become pregnant and will give birth." One supplies a verb for the verbless clause that matches the verb of the verbal clause.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard