b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The logic of the JUSSIVE?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The logic of the JUSSIVE?
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 16:48:14 -0400

wattswestmaas wrote:
Hello, I have a question relating to the use of the JUSSIVE form; it all
appeared perfectly reasonable in theory until I read LEV 19:11 and EX
20:15!!

Those 2 liitle nagging words (tignov and tignovu, steal), opposing one
another as if to declare some hidden little semantic agenda. The one in
jussive and the other as an expected imperfect command.

They're both imperfect, as they should be with the negative lo (vs. al). One is singular, the other plural (with full o-vowel because in pause). Which one do you think is jussive?

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics