b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Diggers

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Kimbrough (CLWA)" <dkimbrough AT clwa.org>
  • To: 'Chemorion' <chosefu_chemorion AT wycliffe.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Diggers
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 08:59:11 -0700

The root of the noun seems to be "xafar" to dig, the animal seems to be a
"digger", so probably some sort of burrowing mammal. . It may be it is
general term for all burrowing mammals such as weasels, moles, burrowing
rats {not all rats dig nests in the ground}, rock badgers, or some other
small mammal we are unfamiliar with or is even extinct. The "perot" seems
to derive from the root meaning "to crush or break", so that may have
narrowed it down a bit for the ancient reader, like distinguishing the black
rat from the brown (or Norwegian) rat. Interestingly, the "digger" is
mentioned with bats, which are cave dwellers. Certainly many types of rats
are likely to be caves, as opposed to moles and other burrowing mammals.
Based on the association with bats, rats *might* be appropriate.

The author of Isaiah however, was interested in theological and political
issues, not systematic taxonomy. In English, I think rat is best as it has
it has negative connotations (diseased, dangerous, and dirty, living in
dark, dank, "digs") which the author is clearly trying to make. The author
is trying to associate the worship of gold and silver idols with fearful and
repugnant animals. Moles and weasels, although obviously "dirty" and
"shifty" animals respectively, do not hold the strong negative associations
to most English speaking people that rats and bats do. I think the point is
to find a local burrowing mammal that the folk find fearful, disgusting, or
in some way associated with negative feelings and use that.

David Eugene Kimbrough