b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Tammuz, image of

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Tammuz, image of
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 22:53:21 +0200

The "Babylonian" names of the months have been "converted" to Judaism since
the
Second Temple period, and no more thought is given to their pagan origins
than is given to such names as January or March (after Janus and Mars) or
Sun-day, Moon-day, Woden's-day and Thor's-day by Christians.

And the use of the Zodiac and related symbols in Jewish synagogue art and
liturgy also goes way back. We have plenty of 4-6th century Synagogue
mosaics featuring the Zodiac, complete with Helios himself. Apparently by
then these symbols had already lost their pagan significance and were no
longer seen as being in violation of the Second Commandment.

Yigal