b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] 1 Sam 5:6 ; devastation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brian & Laureen Powell <PowellBrian AT omf.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] 1 Sam 5:6 ; devastation
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:18:00 +0800

Hi,
I'm currently translating 1 Samuel into one of the minority languages of the Philippines and have reached the above verse.

I am wondering if the word translated in the NIV as 'devastation', shamem in the Hebrew, refers to a destruction of crops (which would be quite likely if there were a plague of rats which is mentioned in chapter 6) or whether this is some other form of destruction, such as death by plague.

I should be grateful if anyone could shed some light on the meaning of this word. Thanks
Brian Powell

--

Brian & Laureen Powell