b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Jeremiah’s undocumented wrong prophesy to King Josiah (was variant pronunciation)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Noam Eitan <noameitan AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Jeremiah’s undocumented wrong prophesy to King Josiah (was variant pronunciation)
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 06:15:50 -0700 (PDT)

If you ask about what I believe, I believe the Bible contains a lot of
historical information that is just as accurate as sitting in a trial and
listening to the D.A. marshal evidence and present opening and closing
arguments against an innocent defendant (i.e., practitioners of religious
syncretism, a.k.a. idolatry) without hearing the defendant or his assigned
defense counsel at all.

I would like to use your question as an excuse to bring up a hypothetical
example of the “historical events” the Bible may be concealing from us.
WARNING: the following contains unbridled speculations.

Following the “discovery” of the “Book of the Law” in the Temple, King Josiah
launched an intense puritan reform to eradicate “idolatrous” rites (2 Kings,
parts of 22 and of 23.) The prophet Jeremiah started his practice during his
reign, the only one towards which the dyspeptic prophet was well-disposed (2
Chronicles 35:25.)

King Josiah died in Battle in 609 BCE while trying to stop the advance of
King of Egypt, Necho II (2 Kings 23:29; 2 Chronicles 35: 20-27). Would a
Near-Eastern ruler go to battle without consulting his god first? And who
would the righteous King Josiah consult other than the Yahwist clique, headed
most likely by Baruch the scribe (son of Neriah) and his puppet Jeremiah (see
Jeremiah 45: 5 and more bluntly 43:3 as to who was the dominant partner in
this liaison)? Since King Josiah went ahead to battle (more according to
Chronicles than to Kings), he most likely got the green light from Jeremiah,
maybe even quoting from the “newly discovered” scroll regarding the rewards
of faithfully observing Yahwe’s commandments :”Yahweh will conquer your
enemies when they attack you” (Deuteronomy 28:7.) The results are documented
in the Bible.

Now, let’s fast forward to the amazing chapter 44 in Jeremiah. The prophet
was addressing congregations exiled to Egypt after the fall of Jerusalem,
ranting the usual Yahwist propaganda. This is one of the rare instances where
the text (put down by Baruch?) describes the audience’s response (probably to
illustrate their intransigence.) One wonders throughout the book of Jeremiah
how his listeners put up with him for so long (probably because they feared
his god), but here they finally have had enough: “We will not listen to your
messages in the name of Yahweh, we will do whatever we want! We will burn
incense to the Queen of Heaven and sacrifice to her just as much as we like –
just as we and our ancestors did before us, and as our kings and princes have
always done in the towns of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem. FOR IN
THOSE DAYS WE HAD PLENTY TO EAT AND WE WERE WELL OFF AND HAD NO TROUBLES! BUT
EVER SINCE WE QUIT BURNING INCENSE TO THE QUEEN OF HEAVEN AND STOPPED
WORSHIPPING
HER WE HAVE BEEN IN GREAT TROUBLE AND HAVE SUFFERED THE EFFECTS OF WAR AND
FAMINE” (Jeremiah 44:15-18) In other words, the men and good wives of the
Judeans living in Pathros expressed the widespread sentiment that things
started to go downhill for Judeans ever since the “idolatrous” cults were
suppressed by King Josiah, whose death was divine retribution for angering so
many ancestral gods.

Baruch/Jeremiah’s bitterness stems from their downfall from being in the
center of political power during King Josiah’s time to the status of
outcasts. The people of Israel made a practical observation that turning
their back to the ancestral gods just got them (and King Josiah) in trouble.
This may explain why Jeremiah’s relatives were trying to pressure him to stop
prophesying in the name of Jahweh. Lastly, if Jeremiah/Baruch indeed
prophesized success to King Josiah against Necho II, this can explain why
Jeremiah/Baruch’s admonitions were tolerated (reluctantly) rather than heeded
to, and more significantly, that the book of Jeremiah documents
Jeremiah/Baruch’s about-face. The death of King Josiah signified to him a
change in Yahweh’s plan, and he therefore changed his direction and preached
political servitude like no other prophet. I wonder if there is any example
in ancient literature of a man of god trying so hard to convince his audience
and their king to give themselves over
the enemy.

Noam Eitan, Brooklyn, NY (requesting your indulgence, or better, a referral
to the appropriate group for discussing events in the Bible from a historical
perspective, free from interests of currently existing religions)