b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: variant pronunciation

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: variant pronunciation
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 03:01:00 -0500

Dora:

The answer to your question is included in your question: the reason you did
not hear the th sound in Hebrew is because German, hence Yiddisch, hence the
Ashkenazic pronunciation, does not have the th sound. Modern Israeli Hebrew,
having been developed by Yiddisch speaking Jews, with only a couple of
exceptions is limited to the phonemes available in Yiddisch even though they
selected Sephardi pronunciation as the one to use.

Karl W. Randolph.