b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Names (was: variant pronunciation)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Names (was: variant pronunciation)
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 02:14:11 -0500

Dear Yigal:

I suspect your answer #2 below is more important than you originally thought.

For example, I was taught that the false god Molech was given the points he
has in Tanakh to deride him, but in Biblical times the name may have been
pronounced as Melech or Malech. Similarly I suspect the Philistine god Dagon
was connected with harvest, hence his name, not fish.

In the book of Ruth, the meanings of the sonsÂ’ names is very likely
rabbinical, not original. Machlon may have been connected with softness or
gentleness, while Kilion with completeness in the sense of perfection, and
Orpah very likely connected with firmness or strength, turning her back on
Naomi having nothing to do with the name.

Karl W. Randolph.