b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew support installed - which Hebrew do I enable?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Dora Smith <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew support installed - which Hebrew do I enable?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 01:09:46 -0700

On 15/04/2004 22:27, Dora Smith wrote:

OK, I installed Peter Kirk's language support pack. In addition to that
uniscribe file.

I'm scared to try control panel international settings again, so I opened
Internet Explorer.

Yesterday when I right clicked in IE and clicked on encoding I did not find
Hebrew.

Today I find four versions. Do I enable Hebrew ISO, Hebrew visual, Hebrew
logical, or Hebrew Windows? If I want to be able to post to the list in
unicode that everyone can read? Or can I enable more than one?

I already have Unicode selected - do I leave that selected as well?

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas
villandra AT austin.rr.com

I'm glad you are getting there.

If these settings are for reading web pages, you may want to enable all of them. But I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

As for sending e-mail, I would suggest that you use only Unicode. Hebrew Windows should also work. The "visual" version is likely to cause problems - text may well come out backwards for some people. But on Windows 95 you probably don't have any keyboard support for writing Hebrew. Keyman, from www.tavultesoft.com, provides some of what you need, but only with certain applications which probably excludes Outlook Express 5.5. You could, however, compose mail in Word 2000 or a recent version of Wordpad and paste it into Outlook.

Peter

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)