b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] "adam" in Turkish

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Steve Westfall <steve.westfall AT comcast.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] "adam" in Turkish
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 06:48:24 -0700

On 05/04/2004 06:03, Steve Westfall wrote:

Does the K&B EVER cite evidence from Turkish? (I haven't had a chance to
look, but I doubt it was part of their procedure.)

Steve Westfall

I doubt if it would ever be relevant. According to most scholars (though not Turkish ones), the Turkic peoples were living thousands of miles away from the Israelites during the BH period, and so it is very improbable that there are Turkic loan words in the HB. There just might be words of Arabic, Aramaic, Hittite etc origin relevant to Hebrew which are preserved only in Turkish. Well, I guess this is quite likely with some place names; for example, the name of a northern possible Ur of the Chaldees may be preserved in the Turkish city name Urfa. (I posted evidence for this one on this list some years ago, https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2000-June/007517.html, see also https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/b-hebrew/2000-June/007495.html.)

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)