b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Deut 5, 17 -20

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "David Kimbrough (CLWA)" <dkimbrough AT clwa.org>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Deut 5, 17 -20
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:16:32 -0800

On 23/03/2004 08:38, David Kimbrough (CLWA) wrote:

Yigal,

Thank you for your reply, it was quite informative. However my question was
a bit more narrowly focused. In the text I was looking at, the was a sof
pasuq at the end of each verse of the traditional "commandments" in
Deuteronomy. My question was, do other MT MSS have a sof pasuq in the same
places? The footnote I read was more than a bit vague. Is it that there
are no sof pasuq at the end of each of these sections or is it that there is
a different practice of using the sof pasuq to identify the end of the
verse. To put it a different way, Is everyone looking at identical MT MSS
and simply numbering the verses differently based different philosophy or
are there differences in the MSS which give rise to different versification?
Thanks again.

David Eugene Kimbrough
dkimbrough AT clwa.org

In Codex Leningradensis there is a clear sof pasuq, and a space (interpreted by BHS as setuma), after each of commandments 6-9 in Deut 5. There is also a double set of accents. The Biblica Rabbinica, the early 16th century printed text, is the same.

I will send to David and Yigal offlist a scan of the relevant parts.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)